Friday, December 22, 2006

Birthday thoughts cont'd

This is a second part to my previous post.

I need to stress that what I experienced -- all the revelations, realisations, joy, etc. -- represents only a fraction of my journey. I've only highlighted all the good that came out of it, but that is hardly the whole picture. I do not wish to mislead people into thinking that that is all there is to the Christian walk, that it's all smooth-sailing once you've found Christ. Or that once God touches you, you are magically transformed from a horrible sinner to a holy, always-wanting-to-do-good human being. That is erroneous in more than one level, and extremely naive, too.

First, we must realise that we have fallen natures, and that no matter what and that yes, even with God on our side, we will always fall short. Even with these awesome encounters with God, do I still struggle with sin daily? Do I still have feelings of bitterness, anger and strife? Do I still pass judgement on others and am critical, harsh and often unkind? Am I still self-centred and indulgent? Do I still lack self-control and the eight other fruits of the Spirit? Do I still constantly have to war against my flesh?

All this and more, is a resounding, "Yes!" So then, this begs the question, what is different?

There's a verse in the bible that talks about "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation". I heard a sermon on it once, where the preacher said that the verse actually means a continuing process of change, not a one-time-deal that I've mistakenly interpreted it for. We, who live in Christ, should be continually transformed by His power and grace, and it won't be final or complete until we meet Him or He comes in His glory, whichever should come first. That means while we're still living on Earth, we will struggle with sin. But as long as we come before Him each day in true repentance, He is faithful to forgive. He knows our weakness, and in Hebrews it says we have a High Priest who can sympathise with us, because He was tempted in all ways like we are. Yes, we are supposed to be more Christlike as we follow Him, but remember that nothing is built in a day or month or even a year. It is a lifelong process, often wrought with obstacles, setbacks, detours and falls. We often lose our way, but bear in mind how gracious He is, and just like the parable of the lost sheep, He will bring us back. The other thing is to keep running the race with endurance, to keep fighting the good fight and keep pushing towards the heavenly goal.

A more complete picture of my personal devos is summed up in this Henri Nouwen quote, taken from Philip Yancey's book Reaching for the Invisible God (of which I highly recommend):

"[It is] not a time in which i experience a special closeness to God; it is not a period of serious attentiveness to the divine mysteries. I wish it were! On the contrary, it is full of distractions, inner restlessness, sleepiness, confusion, and boredom. It seldom, if ever, pleases my sense. But the simple fact of being for one hour in the presence of the Lord and of showing Him all that I feel, think, sense and experience, without trying to hide anything, must please Him. Somehow, somewhere I know that He loves me, even though I do not feel that love as I can feel a human embrace, even though I do not hear a voice as I hear human words of consolation, even though I do not see a smile, as I can see in a human face. Still God speaks to me, looks at me, and embraces me there, where I am still unable to notice it."

The part that speaks to me most, is "the simple fact of being for one hour in the presence of the Lord and of showing Him all that I feel, think, sense and experience, without trying to hide anything, must please Him." This was why He made us in the first place! So that we can commune with Him, worship Him and come to Him... just as we are.

2 comments:

lightoftheworld said...

Please keep blogging. You are ministering to me. Sometimes I don't go to God cuz I feel guilty for neglecting Him. Then it turns into more and more neglect. I like when u said something like, we are never gonna be perfect cuz their is always gonna be set backs detours etc. And all we can do is press on.

eL said...

Thanks. And yes, keep on at it, even when at times you feel like you're crawling.